When Results Matter, Experience Counts

Supporting Your Immigration Questions

At Allen & Pinnix, P.A., our lawyers understand that the immigration process can be complex and daunting. That’s why we’re here to help answer your questions about navigating the intricacies of immigration law.

With decades of experience, our team of compassionate attorneys is dedicated to providing the guidance and support you need to achieve your immigration goals. Here are answers to some of the questions we receive most often.

What are the different types of immigration visas?

There are various options, including family-based visas, employment-based visas, diversity visas (DV lottery) and humanitarian categories pertaining to asylum, refugee status, temporary protected status (TPS) VAWA, (Violence Against Woman Act), T visas and U visas.

What are the criteria for obtaining different types of visas?

The criteria vary depending on the status or visa you are applying for. Generally, factors such as family relationships, employment opportunities, skills and humanitarian circumstances govern eligibility.

How long does the immigration process typically take?

The immigration process timeline varies widely depending on factors such as the type of visa, country of origin and individual circumstances. Some processes may take several months, others could take years–even many years to complete.

What are the common challenges people face during the immigration process?

Common challenges include navigating complex legal requirements, understanding and gathering necessary documentation, overcoming language barriers and addressing issues related to eligibility and admissibility.

What are the costs associated with immigration legal services?

The costs related to immigration legal services can vary depending on the complexity of your case and the services required. Our firm offers transparent fee structures and will work with you to develop a tailored legal strategy that fits your budget and needs.

What are the different options for obtaining work visas?

Various types of non-immigrant work visas include H-1B visas for specialty occupations, H-2B visas to meet seasonal, temporary and peak load needs, L-1 visas for intracompany transfers, O-1 visas for individuals with extraordinary abilities or achievements, TN (United States-Mexico-Canada Treaty, formerly “NAFTA”), R-1 for clergy and certain religious workers.  Employment authorization may be available for certain college students, asylum applicants and persons in some other categories, such as DACA,  that permit grants of employment authorization.

How can I navigate the PERM labor certification process?

Navigating  PERM  is arguably the most complex immigration related process; it involves conducting recruitment to test the job market, filing the labor certification application with the U.S. Department of Labor and demonstrating the unavailability of qualified U.S. workers. Complex, sometimes arbitrary,  Department of Labor regulations govern every step of the process. Our attorneys have decades of experience successfully handling PERM/Labor Certification filings.

What are my rights if I am facing deportation proceedings due to work visa or status violation issues?

It is always best to avoid potential status violation issues. Our attorneys are available to help you maintain status and avoid possible issues that could result in sanctions, including deportation. If you are risking deportation proceedings due to work or other visa issues, seeking legal representation is crucial. Our experienced attorneys can help you understand your rights.

What steps are involved in sponsoring a family member for a green card?

Sponsoring a family member for a green card typically includes filing a petition with USCIS, completing a visa application, sometimes attending an interview, demonstrating the qualifying familial relationship and that the beneficiary is not inadmissible.

What are the requirements for marriage-based green cards?

Requirements for marriage-based green cards include proving the validity of the marital relationship, demonstrating financial support, passing a medical examination and meeting other eligibility criteria.

What are my options if I am undocumented and have children who are U.S. citizens?

If you are undocumented and have children who are U.S. citizens, you may have options for relief such as “cancellation of removal,” or even obtaining a green card through a family-based petition.  You need to discuss your, and your family’s, entire immigration history with a knowledgeable immigration attorney to explore all  of your possible options, such as processing under section 245(i) an old law that permits some people to process their green card applications without departing the United States.

Schedule Your Consultation Today

Have more questions about citizenship? Schedule a consultation with our attorneys at Allen & Pinnix, P.A., today. Hablamos español. Contact us at 919-944-4544 or contact us online to make an appointment. Let us provide the clarity and guidance you need to navigate the immigration process successfully.